11.08.2011

The Best Things in Life

The very best things about my life are my wife and my children.

My wife, Shandra, agreed to marry me even though I probably gave her the worst possible proposal.  I knew that bended knee, romantic setting, and all of that other stuff was important, but the ring was burning a hole in my pocket and the argument that we were having was heating up.  I gave up and asked her to marry me (she is still lucky that the ring wasn't presented at 100mph).  She called me stupid, said "yes", and continues to this day to hold my crappy proposal over my head.

We are together for life.  Part of us is our four children.  Three daughters and one son. 

Shea is my oldest daughter.  At 16 she is another adult in the household.  A very capable cook, mature older sister, and down-to-Earth teenager really have spoiled us.  There are bumps in the road with Shea, but considering what I hear about teenage daughters, they barely count as bumps.

Sydney came next.  A very special kid with the biggest heart and unbeatable sense of humor, Sydney is also easy.  At 13 there isn't anything that we wouldn't trust Sydney to handle.  She has experienced more life than her siblings because she is the most adventerous.

Addie is my favorite.  This 10 year old took my heart at birth and hasn't let go.  Her sisters readily admit that I favor her, but all agree that I don't sacrifice time or effort toward the rest of the family just for her.  If there is a choice of who to sit next to at dinner or a movie, I choose Addie.  she is one of the smallest kids in her class but doesn't take crap from anyone.  Semi-tenderhearted, tough-as-nails, most likely to fight dirty to defend the innocent, etc.  That's Addie.

Anthony is our only son.  We did not "try" for a son.  We did not "try" for a fourth child, but God graced us with him anyway.  Our 7 year old is not what I expected at all.  With girls first, I has no idea what a boy would be like.  I expected to have to always be replacing glass, deal with strange animals, constantly clean muddy messes, and the like, but Anthony isn't the boy of our imaginations.  He prides himself on always staying on a schedule.  He gets up in the morning, eats a healthy breakfast, gets dressed, brushes teeth, and catches the bus pretty much by himself.  In the afternoon he gets a snack, completes all of his homework, and then stretches his imagination daily.  He doesn't ask to do anything but almost always says yes and enjoys doing anything.  He hasn't broken or taken anything apart yet.  Mud gets wiped off on the mat before he enters a room.  Anthony is another dream kid.

Shandra and I are truly blessed.  With each other and our children we know that we really do have the best things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment